[ltp] > 256 colors for 600E?

Jont Allen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 00:22:54 -0400

David Newman wrote:

> For my Thinkpad 600E I'd like to get an X server capable of displaying more
> than the 256 colors I get with the XFree86-SVGA server that comes with
> RH6.2.

It only depends on the video memory you have. There is a limit the product of the
resolution and the number of colors, which depends on the amount of video memory.
You should get the same resolution you get from windows. Exactly the same.
The acceleration can be different on some chipsets, but that is a rare problem
to my knowledge.

> Any recommendations? Does XFree86-4 do better than 3?

I doubt it. Maybe some model some where, but this problem was
solved a long time ago (i.e., years ago).

> Thanks in advance.
>
> David Newman

Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161
180 Park Ave., Florham Park NJ, 07932-0971
973/360-8545voice, x7111fax, http://www.research.att.com/~jba

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes, which can be made,
 in a very narrow field." --Niels Bohr
"Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment."
"Experience is what you get when you dont get what you want." -rlg
"Don't squat with your spurs on."  --an unknown cowboy.