TP 240 HDD (was: [ltp] Suse 7.1)

T Dale linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:42:00 -0700

Well, IBM repaired my 240. Before sending it in I took out the hard drive.
Their notes said they repaired the system board.  So I don't know anything
more than I did as to what caused the failure. It seemed very strange that
it died while attempting to connect via PCMCIA modem to my ISP for the first
time after configuring an Internet connection in Suse 7.1 w/ firewall
enabled -- but it could be merely a coincidence that it happened when it
did.

Since getting it back I've not yet booted into Linux, having only used the
Windows partition, but when I do I'll probably try again to get the 240's
Lucent winmodem working under Linux. Has anyone done this yet? If so, care
to share the steps? I tried once before, downloading the necessary zip file,
but couldn't get the necessary file -- ltmod51a.exe or something similar,
IIRC -- to execute in Linux, which is why I resorted to using my Megahertz
PCMCIA modem.