TP 240 HDD (was: [ltp] Suse 7.1)

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 00:02:48 +0200

Paul Hahn wrote:

[snip]
> would reccomend to everyone in user land that they stay away from Suse
> 7.1-- it is too beta. It has royally messed by desktop-- not too mention
> production servers at work. I am not brave enough to use it on the
> TP240-- I don't want to do a reinstall of Red Hat to remove it if it
> hoses the machine. Glad to hear that you got it going on your 240's though.

Sorry, but I cannot understand why you recommend this. I've been using
SuSE 7.1 on a T21 for approx. two months now. It's configured with
kernel 2.2.18 which I compiled myself from the SuSE kernel sources, LVM
and ReiserFS. APM (incl. hibernation), video, sound, internal Lucent
modem, PCMCIA (IBM Token Ring card), UltraBay2000 warm swap work without
problems.

I do my day to day business on this machine and it works like a charm!
Some of my colleagues who installed Linux on their ThinkPads also have
chosen SuSE 7.1 and they're happy with it, too.

Please don't get me wrong - I don't intend to start the old "My
distribution is the best!" flamewar again. It's just that I do not agree
that SuSE 7.1 is "too beta".

BTW, excuses that I haven't commented earlier to the subject "SuSE 7.1",
although Chris asked for reports approx. 10 days ago. I wasn't able to
follow the list that close lately.

Markus