[ltp] Re: TP240HD: Sorry, not trying to start flamewar

Paul Hahn linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:57:54 -0700

I am happy that you like Suse. I bought the pro edition and am happy
with much of what it offers. I do like the manuals that come with it--
they are informative and much better than the pamplet that you get with
Red Hat. That was the thing that actually got me to pay for Suse. I
don't know if I will pay for another Red Hat distro-- and I would
download Suse before determining if I would pay for it again. I am still
looking for "my" ideal distro. It is too bad I don't have time to
download them all and play, or make my own.

I am also looking for my ideal "linux" reference book. The Suse books
are good, but Suse specific. I would love to find an admin book that
just goes through the syntax, details, and locations of all Linux system
set-up files-- no config utilities, maybe some howto's. I think I rely
too much on Suse or Red Hat to simplify somethings- and that handicaps
me on other Unices. This is an easy habit to get into and even though I
can configure many things in X and in my system through files-- no one
can remember everything.

A book like this would be a great reference, especially for an user in
the middle of no-where with a laptop gone awry. I am so tired of books
that go over commands and config utilites (that I can lookup easy enough
with man and info). This site, and howto's  are the best things I have
found for configuration info. If anyone knows of a book like this,
please let me know.