[ltp] X Server 32bpp on ThinkPad 770ED

Lorenzo Martignoni linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:24:33 +0200

sgambare@libero.it <sgambare@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi all, I install twice my Mandrake 7.2 with kernel 2.2.17-21mdk-fb, and
> after I understand that without framebuffer I couldn't use X server, I
> try some different resolution, but only 102x768 15 bpp works!

if you use Xfree for Framebuffer device, X work at the same
resolution/colordepth of FrameBuffer. If you want X in 32bpp You've to use
FB in 32bpp (I suppose default is 16). Play with vga kernel option
(vga=7xx) in your /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Vga modes are explained in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesa.txt.

This is an extract from my /boot/grub/menu.lst

	----8<---- cut here ----8<----
	# For booting Linux
	title  Linux 2.4.2
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 vga=788

	# booting linux without framebuffer support
	title  Linux 2.4.2 (no framebuffer support)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2 root=/dev/hda5 vga=normal

The first group of options boot my linux with fb at 800x600 (16bpp) and
the second without fb. (my monitor works only in 800x600 ;-( )
Try with "vga=792" (from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesa.txt)

lorenzo

--
L o r e n z o         |   Let the machine do the dirty work.
M a r t i g n o n i   |         -- Kernighan & Ritchie