[ltp] BIOS password prob.

John Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 16:34:11 -0700

Have you tried pressing F12 at boot-up. It will allow you to change just the
boot device order, if I am not mistaken.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
[mailto:owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com]On Behalf Of Justin Catterall
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2001 8:50 AM
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject: [ltp] BIOS password prob.

I'm running Debian on an A21p and, generally, it's great. Yesterday I
upgraded from Debian Stable to Testing and now have *major* problems.
Somewhere along the line a new kernel was installed and
/lib/modules/2.2.17 got messed up and the system won't boot. The only way
out I can see is to boot from a floppy and fix it - trouble is I disabled
the floppy as a boot device in the BIOS. I've also set BIOS passwords and
can't work out how to get back in!

I'm 100% sure I know the passwords (I only use about 6 different ones)
but I'm not sure where I should give the passwords. When the system boots
I get the IBM splash screen and 'F1 for BIOS' (or whatever it reads) I
then get a password prompt that looks like a laptop and a padlock. The
only password I can get accepted here is my standard password, the screen
then shows another password prompt (hard disk I think) but as this is the
same it just 'OKs' and moves on.

If I hit F1 at boot, give the password, I get a BIOS screen and is says
something like 'BIOS locked only supervisor (administrator?) can change
settings'. Was that first prompt the place I should have put my password
or is the another password prompt I just haven't found? Like I said, I'm
sure I know the passwords but it won't let me into the BIOS with any of
the others I use. OK, I accept I *may* have invented a new pwd and
forgotten it (though I'm sure this isn't the case) how then could I get
in? From IBM tech support I've heard it's an $800 main board replacement
- I'm hoping this is just a deterent for theives or something.

I'm really at the end of my tether here, I can't afford $800 to fix a
machine I paid 3500 GBP for two months ago. Any advice will be more than
gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
--
Th nw mnmlst .sig                                      Justin C by the sea.