[ltp] KDE2.x

Jan CSERNOCH linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:22:45 +0200

> I have KDE 1 & 2 installed on several machines, including:
> 2 sparc Solaris 2.6, kde2.0
> 2 i386 desktop RH6.2, kde2.1
> ONE ThinkPad-X20 RH7.0, kde2.1

Me:
Several IBM Intellistation MPro
Several nobrand assembled PCs
and an IBM 600x which is a pain in the ass (I would love it if the modem
worked fine and KDE2.x wouldn't hang up)

> The thinkpad is the only one that locks up on me with any frequency.  It
> doesn't seem to crash - the mouse moves (though clicks are ignored) &
> the clock blinks.  There is just no way to get it to accept any user
> input, including switching consoles.  Interstingly, one can
> suspend/resume fine (though the UI is still ignoring input).

It's the panel that freezes for me... Try CTRL-ALT-ESC (to kill), then
the panel is killed, you can keep on running anything, but you loose the
confort of the panel. It's irritating though, even if you restart the
panel (with which I didn't spend time to figure out how). You can also
use CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart X.

> If inetd is running, I can telnet in & shutdown.  Otherwise, it's the
> power switch.

So you can't even change to a virtconsole? With me it's fine.

> Have you tried kde 2.1.1?  I have pulled down the SRPMS, but
> unfortunately there are no binaries for some reason.  kde.org blames
> RedHat...

KDE2.1.1 is the same. KDE.org better not blame RedHat, beacause I use
SuSE and I have the same problem.

Please can you give me the link on kde.org where they mention this
problem, perhaps I should report it.

There was a guy here before mentioning a work around on this problem...

Thanks, so now I don't look like a fool :-)
Jean