[ltp] Can't find ppp module

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:09:48 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Cynthia Eliason wrote:

> Red hat 6.2 on a Thinkpad 600.   Kernel upgraded to 2.2.16-3.   The
> script that came with the mwave modem driver will load the mwave dd
> module but can't find the ppp module.  Modprobe can't find it,
>
> The installation has a  etc./conf.modules file but the man page says the
> correct syntax is modules.conf  -  is this the problem?  this system
> was just installed today.

I believe that for historical reasons, conf.modules is used if
modules.conf cannot be found - I do  not think this applies to the ppp
module anyway, because it is not aliased in, the module is actually called
ppp.o anyway.

Have a look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/

See if you can find ppp.o

If it isn't there, then you don't have a ppp module [this doesn't rule
out the possibility that ppp might have been compiled in to the kernel]

Alternatively, you could check /boot/System.map-`uname -r` [grep for ppp]
I think that should tell you if you have ppp compiled in.

It might be worth doing a 'depmod -av' and checking
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep, too, just to make sure.

--
I am worthless. I struggle with the simple things. It seems so easy for
everyone else. One armed blind people climb mountains and teenagers get