[ltp] Re: FYI -- New ThinkPad T22 model for Linux includes DVD movie playback

Mick McQuaid linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:06:46 -0700

you can certainly test the 770z's ability to play without hardware

i have the 770x and used cinemaster which supposedly doesn't use the
hardware, as well as demos of powerdvd and windvd, and found all three
looked as good as or better than mediamatics dvdexpress, which does
use the hardware

... regarding a message from Crispin Cowan on Apr 16:
> Alan Shutko wrote:
>
> > Vivek Dasmohapatra <vivek@etla.org> writes:
> >
> > > One question: Does this software respect zoning? What happens to those of
> > > us outside zone 1 [or whichever zone the US is in]?
> >
> > The hardware respects regions, unless you've located and installed a
> > version of the firmware which doesn't.
>
> Does that mean that the LinDVD player is actually using the hardware, and not
> playing in software?  If so, then there may be hope for older machines like my
> 770Z (which didn't seem old yesterday :-) as this means one doesn't need a
> super-hot CPU to play DVDs.  On the other hand, if my hardware is different
> than the A-series, then I'm likely screwed.
>
> Crispin
>
> --
> Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
> Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com