[ltp] Re: FYI -- New ThinkPad T22 model for Linux includes DVD movie playback

Mick McQuaid linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:58:05 -0700

The 770Z is clearly able to do it in software;  There is a wide
assortment of updated driver stuff you need to download from the IBM
site---I found it bewildering but the result is that my 770X outputs
better sound (AC-3) and equal picture to my home DVD player, when
using the S-video and AC-3 audio ports on the card.  At the time the
770Z came out, IBM advised against trying the software only decode on
anything slower (e.g., than 300Mhz or 366Mhz), but that one is okay.
Software Cinemaster, PowerDVD, and WinDVD all should do it!
The trick in your case will be to pick up the right set of drivers
from the device driver matrix and install them in the right order.

... regarding a message from Robert Hollis on Apr 17:
> I've actually watched DVD's on 770E/Z and 600e.  I forgot what the low end
> spec is for DVD playing but low end laptops which have a DVD player will
> work. My problem is I have a big screen TV at home and want to use laptop
> S-out so everyone can watch the movie but for some reason it doesn't work.
> I'll keep loooking for something that supports this though.  Can't justify
> a dedicated DVD player for TV, but talked wife into one for home computer.
>
> Robert Hollis
> 630-573-7383 (T/L 677)
> e-mail - vdrlholl@us.ibm.com
>
> IBM
> 2707 Butterfield Rd.
> Oak Brook, IL.  60523
>

> Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>@bm-soft.com on 04/16/2001 07:09:52 PM
>
> Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
>
> Sent by:  owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
>

> To:   linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
> cc:
> Subject:  Re: [ltp] Re: FYI -- New ThinkPad T22 model for Linux includes
>       DVD movie  playback
>

> Alan Shutko wrote:
>
> > Vivek Dasmohapatra <vivek@etla.org> writes:
> >
> > > One question: Does this software respect zoning? What happens to those
> of
> > > us outside zone 1 [or whichever zone the US is in]?
> >
> > The hardware respects regions, unless you've located and installed a
> > version of the firmware which doesn't.
>
> Does that mean that the LinDVD player is actually using the hardware, and
> not
> playing in software?  If so, then there may be hope for older machines like
> my
> 770Z (which didn't seem old yesterday :-) as this means one doesn't need a
> super-hot CPU to play DVDs.  On the other hand, if my hardware is different
> than the A-series, then I'm likely screwed.
>
> Crispin
>
> --
> Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
> Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com