[ltp] Re: FYI -- New ThinkPad T22 model for Linux includes DVD movie playback

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:03:32 -0400

On Tuesday 17 April 2001 09:49, Robert Hollis wrote:
> I've actually watched DVD's on 770E/Z and 600e.  I forgot what the low end
> spec is for DVD playing but low end laptops which have a DVD player will
> work. My problem is I have a big screen TV at home and want to use laptop
> S-out so everyone can watch the movie but for some reason it doesn't work.
> I'll keep loooking for something that supports this though.  Can't justify
> a dedicated DVD player for TV, but talked wife into one for home computer.

  I can play DVDs through the S-Video out on my i1460 series in Windows.  I
almost have this working in Linux too (using Xine and ati.2 which means that
it's "accelerated" to an extent too).

  On a side note, if anyone is interested in helping, I've been working on an
S-Video out driver for ATI Mach64 chipsets (like the one on the iSeries Rage
Mobility M based laptops).  I have deciphered some of the registers used and
I have a port access trace for the entire procedure.  It's just a matter of
fixing up the timing and synchronization now I think.  However it's a bit of
work and I could always use some help from someone with experience doing
this!  (or someone with documentation since I have none <grin>)  This should
allow us to do S-Video out DVD playing without restrictions.

--

George Staikos