[ltp] [just joined] Linux on a Thinkpad A21m?

Joane Lispton linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:12:49 +0530

Hi!

I just ordered a Thinkpad A21m, PIII, 64MB RAM, 10GB HD, Intel combo card,
etc. It will replace my much beloved (and aging...) 760ED.

I apologize for the number of questions; I would greatly appreciate having
only a few of them answered... :)

I have been searching the list archives and would like to ask  a few
questions:

- Does XFree86 4.x run correctly under the frame buffer? Any glitches?

- Does APM work correctly? I read about some problems concerning the A20m
and screen blanking under X... Is this a thing of the past?

- Is the Intel combo card supported? I read that most problems were found
when using the 3com card; with the Intel card, do both Ethernet and 56k
modem work correctly?

- Can I use a key combination (with my 760ED it was Fn+F3) to temporarily
shut down the LCD screen?

- What about dimming the LCD? My 760ED had a manual switch for doing this,
but the A21m seems to lack this feature; is it possible to do this under
Linux using a key combination?

- Does USB work correctly?

- Is it possible to clock down the processor (using the PIII's SpeedStep
feature) under Linux?

Thank you for any hint!

Bye, :-)

Joane