[ltp] * * * WARNING * * * Red Hat 7.1 - seawolf * * * WARNING* * *

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:08:13 +0200

--------------529FD268F6AF4FECA0B14DFF

Byeong-ryeol Kim wrote:

> And, though I admit the possibility for 'lm_sensors' thing to corrupt specific
> data of EPROM, but I think this is avoidable by merely not setting up
> 'lm_sensors' thing

And here lies the problem. You are a self confessed linux user with 7 years of
experience. Myself and others are also long term users BUT some beginners don't
even know what lm_sensors is, I didn't until another experienced user informed
us of this problem here on the list (Hi FB).

Red Hat and others are aware of this problem (there are members from various
linux
dists on the list) but for some strange reason "kde_base" has a dependancy on the

lm_sensors package. This should have been IMHO in a seperate package
"kde_sensors"
or something like that.

> and the best thing would be such that IBM should provide
> very cheap reasonable solution other than replacing motherboars for aleady
> corrupted EEPROM as early as they can.

The best thing would be for IBM to go and grab a couple of developers, have them
take a real close look at the source and help the developers resolve this
problem.

Please IBM, Red Hat, and who ever might me concerned (SuSE,Mandrake,etc), please
let's get this fixed ASAP.

IBM'ers: Who needs to be contacted to escalate this as an open problem ? Does't
the
latest/future Caldera Linux pre-install deliver lm_sensors support ? Do
pre-installed
IBM Linux ThinkPads also have this time bomb ?

Bill

--------------529FD268F6AF4FECA0B14DFF

<tt>Byeong-ryeol Kim wrote:</tt>
thing to corrupt specific</tt>
up</tt>
<tt>And here lies the problem. You are a self confessed linux user with
7 years of</tt>
beginners don't</tt>
user informed</tt>
from various linux</tt>
dependancy on the</tt>
"kde_sensors"</tt>
provide</tt>
for aleady</tt>
<tt>The best thing would be for IBM to go and grab a couple of developers,
have them</tt>
please</tt>
? Does't the</tt>
? Do pre-installed</tt>