[ltp] Linux on Thinkpad 770 - NOT

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:54:04 +0200

--------------8B37AC7E1E668FD8CBDF9E94

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> > Am an experienced computer user (built my own Cromemco, started with Apple
> > ][ (not Plus)) who happens to have two TP770's, and was planning on putting
> > Linux on a spare drive until I read the great stuff about frying
> > motherboards because of the lm_sensor problem. Can we spell 'bad press'?
>
> Don't let it stop you.  I have been running Linux on my 770Z for two
> years and somehow never managed to run lm_sensors.

Please let me clarify:

lm_sensors is a package that allows users to query the sensor information (CPU
temp,fan speed,etc).

lm_sensors uses the I2C bus to communicate with the sensors.

The I2C support WAS a separately developer kernel extension that became "main
stream" with the kernel version 2.4.0.

This support is now available on all 2.4er based distributions, so it makes
sense
to use this support and add lm_sensor support by default.

This policy means that the an unknowing linux users can/could (and probably
will)
fry their main board serial numbers when the lm_sensors scans the I2C bus for
the
sensor hardware.

The problem is that the serial numbers are stored on a device on the ThinkPad
SMB
(System Management Bus?) which is AFAIK an I2C implementation.

Just installing lm_sensors won't kill your system, but scanning probably will.

I have not verified if RH attempts to set up/scan automatically for am
lm_sensors
compatible machine, but I just wasn't prepared to take the risk.

Having seen this package selection with RH 7.1 I decided to inform all of you
who
who could potentially upgrade/install the latest version and make you all aware
of
this potentially "thinkpad lm sensors of death" situation.

This is one of the very seldom occasions when S/W can really break H/W
(firmware).

Installing Linux on an IBM TP and having it M$ free is really a worth while
experience, don't be scared just because one module has problems.

Bill

--------------8B37AC7E1E668FD8CBDF9E94

<tt>Rob Mayoff wrote:</tt>
Cromemco, started with Apple</tt>