[ltp] * * * WARNING * * * Red Hat 7.1 - seawolf * * * WARNING* * *

Byeong-ryeol Kim linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:23:55 +0900 (KST)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Bill Mair wrote:

> Byeong-ryeol Kim wrote:
>
> > And, though I admit the possibility for 'lm_sensors' thing to corrupt specific
> > data of EPROM, but I think this is avoidable by merely not setting up
> > 'lm_sensors' thing
>
> And here lies the problem. You are a self confessed linux user with 7 years of
> experience. Myself and others are also long term users BUT some beginners don't
> even know what lm_sensors is, I didn't until another experienced user informed
> us of this problem here on the list (Hi FB).
>
> Red Hat and others are aware of this problem (there are members from various
> linux
> dists on the list) but for some strange reason "kde_base" has a dependancy on the
>
> lm_sensors package. This should have been IMHO in a seperate package
> "kde_sensors"
> or something like that.

I don't have times to use various distributions at the same time, and
think various linux distributions are the same thing in general  :-)

I use Red Hat, and my system(neary linke Red Hat 7.1) shows following
result via rpm query:
( Of course dependency might be arbitrary sometimes)

# rpm -q --requires kdebase | grep lm_sensors

# rpm -q --whatrequires lm_sensors

lm_sensors-devel-2.5.2-3
glms-1.03-9

# rpm -qi glms
Name        : glms                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.03                              Vendor: (none)
Release     : 9                             Build Date: Wed Mar  7 21:03:52 2001
Install date: Wed Mar  7 21:04:01 2001      Build Host: progress.plw.net
Group       : User Interface/X              Source RPM: glms-1.03-9.src.rpm
Size        : 88829                            License: GPL
URL         : http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fe0277/glms.html
Summary     : A GNOME hardware monitoring applet.
Description :
The glms package contains a hardware monitoring applet for GNOME.  The
applet displays the temperature of processors, the speed of cooling
fans, and power supply performance.  You'll also need to have the
lm_sensors package installed.

I agree with you to some extent, but, IMHO, lm_sensors thing is not
being automatically setup when installing various distributions.
Do the distribution companies dare to provide to setup lm_sensors
thing automatically while they don't know hundreds of(or thousands of)
the hardwares which millions of users are using.

Of course, it is necessary for IBM, distribution makers or lm_sensors
developers to warn explicitly about upcoming danger by using lm_sensors
under specific hardware(s) at install time (of the program or kernel) or
detect time(lm_sensors) or in the manual of specific vendors.

> > and the best thing would be such that IBM should provide
> > very cheap reasonable solution other than replacing motherboars for aleady
> > corrupted EEPROM as early as they can.
>
> The best thing would be for IBM to go and grab a couple of developers, have them
> take a real close look at the source and help the developers resolve this
> problem.
>
> Please IBM, Red Hat, and who ever might me concerned (SuSE,Mandrake,etc), please
> let's get this fixed ASAP.
>
> IBM'ers: Who needs to be contacted to escalate this as an open problem ? Does't
> the
> latest/future Caldera Linux pre-install deliver lm_sensors support ? Do
> pre-installed
> IBM Linux ThinkPads also have this time bomb ?
>
> Bill

I agree with you generally, but, while determining the fundamental
responsibility of a specific problem, "who is the culprit?" is more
important.

--
 "Where there is a will, there is a way."  jinbo21@hananet.net
  For the future of you and me!            hitel: jinbo21