[ltp] * * * WARNING * * * Red Hat 7.1 - seawolf * * * WARNING

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:17:24 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 phil@netroedge.com wrote:

> To come to the defense of Lm_sensors, I'd like to say that we do
> everything we can to make Lm_sensors safe and useful for users.  A
> number of drivers in the package require an explicit 'force' parameter
> to do an action which, often at worst, may crash the computer.
>
> Thinkpads have been the only hardware platform we know of in which
> permanent damage can be done, apparently due to the unique hardware

I don't think most [if any] of us are attacking lm_sensors. It's just that
when a piece of software can turn your beloved [and expensive] Thinkpad
into, well, a brick, you can get very... emotional.

Especially when the problem seems to have been going on for a long time,
with no answers forthcoming.

And on a side note, I just checked out:

   http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/index.html

and I couldn't even find the word 'thinkpad' in the following sections:

  Supported Devices
  Info
  News

A warning would be nice. Or at least a more obvious one, if there is one
there. I think part of the problem is that it seems so easy to say "ooh..
lm_sensors, this looks shiny..." and fry your thinkpad. I was going to
install lm_sensors myself - I was extremely lucky - a warning came through
on ltp _while I was downloading lm_sensors_.

Thinking about how close I came to putting my thinkpad into brick mode
still gives me The Fear. With capitals, and everything.

--
Nobody wants constructive criticism.  It's all we can do to put up with
constructive praise.