[ltp] * * * WARNING * * * Red Hat 7.1 - seawolf * * * WARNING* * *

Byeong-ryeol Kim linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:50:54 +0900 (KST)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 phil@netroedge.com wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 02:23:55AM +0900, Byeong-ryeol Kim wrote:
> >
> > Do the distribution companies dare to provide to setup lm_sensors
> > thing automatically while they don't know hundreds of(or thousands of)
> > the hardwares which millions of users are using.
>
> To come to the defense of Lm_sensors, I'd like to say that we do
> everything we can to make Lm_sensors safe and useful for users.  A
> number of drivers in the package require an explicit 'force' parameter
> to do an action which, often at worst, may crash the computer.
>
> Thinkpads have been the only hardware platform we know of in which
> permanent damage can be done, apparently due to the unique hardware
> design of the computers. Previously developed code which could
> potentially do permanent harm on the average computer (w/o explicit
> actions from the user) has been removed entirely from the project.

I intended to warn people of over-estimaated fear about 'lm-sensors'. :-)
It is not a material of 'Scream'.

> > I agree with you generally, but, while determining the fundamental
> > responsibility of a specific problem, "who is the culprit?" is more
> > important.
>
> Oh boy.  The call for a witch hunt.
>
> I'd find it difficult to blame anyone in the matter.  And, if you
> found someone to blame, what would you do?
>
> Keep in mind that 'Lm_sensors' consists of a web site and some code.
> We don't ask that users download and install it, nor that distros
> download it to include in their distros.  We haven't received a $0.01
> from anyone, and we spent thousands of dollars of our own personal
> money on hardware and test equipment as well as 4 years of our time
> developing the project for 'kicks'.  In short: We are CRAZY! :')

I don't call witch hunting. It is criminal in ethical point of view.
Historically, 'Witch hunting' was towards whom thinks creatively such
as Bruno, Chaplin, or reformers, revolutionaries in all countries.

I do not have bias to this problem.( I am a maried and middle-year
person. :-) ). I have no time to argue about 'Chickens or Eggs'.

But, I think this problem was envoked from the unfound problem of IBM's
product by 'lm_sensors'. And, I think, IBM sould bow to 'lm_sensor'
people whose program revealed hidden problem of their product.
Though I am one of victims of this problem, I don't hate either IBM.
But, to sove this problem, IBM, the big brother, should open their
chest more widely, sould be more open-minded to cooperate with 'lm_sensors'
people and other distribution makers, and thinkpad users all over the
world.
The mind for buisness's sake doesn't help to solve this problem. They
should give full information to 'lm_sensors' people of their produnct,
whether those are under NDA or not.

--
 "Where there is a will, there is a way."  jinbo21@hananet.net
  For the future of you and me!            hitel: jinbo21