[ltp] Lm-sensors ?? redhat 7.0 newbie questions

Mark Schlegel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:06:46 -0400

In <005e01c0cabd$26566600$75f68ec6@shanebroomhall>, on 04/22/01
   at 09:45 AM, "Shane Broomhall" <shanebroomhall@computer.org> said:

>Hi Guys and Gals,

>I have been trying for the last day or so to try and get SUSE 7.1 working on
>my A20, the install went fine, but I was unable to get it to use my printer,
>which works under windows, and I was unable to get my modem to work.

Hi,

The thinkpad A20 is not on the 'at risk' list on the page:

assuming that's the full list, possibly not since it just lists reported
instances.

>I have redhat 7.0 which I was thinking of trying instead of SUSE to see if it
>can use my modem, and printer. Does redhat 7.0 use this Lm-sensor utility to
>detect the motherborad temp, I have had RH 7.0 running on one of my thinkpads
>and have not had any problems with it.

I seem to remember someone earlier on the ltp list said the lm_sensor package
is being used on the current RHat only for a GNOME utility called glms by
running rmp in query mode to see dependencies listed for lm_sensors --
if so another thing to think about is if you don't want to install GNOME
anyway it's not much of a big deal for now.

>I also understand that there is somewhere there is a document for puting
>linux on laptops could someone please provide me with a pointer for this, I
>am hoping to find some informaiton on setting up external modems (not
>winmodems) and printers so I can then use linux on my business laptop.
>Without a printer and internet, email access, i cannot move my thinkpad to
>linux.

some resources:

http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/
http://www.mobilix.org/