[ltp] A20p and X11 Problem

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:33:20 +0200

On Monday, 23. April 2001 11:28, Carsten Heyl wrote:
> Dear Linux Thinkpad users,
>
> since 10/2001 I'm proud owner of a Thinkpad A20p.

I think you still have to wait a few months... ;-)

> The BIOS of the machine is 1.0.5 (latest AFAIK).
> It's running the 1400/1050 Display and it's really great but one
> annoyance of X11 is still
> with me from the beginning.
> I need help from anyone running the combination A20p/XFree 4.0.2 without
> problems.
> A copy of the boot parameters plus /etc/XF86Config would be great!

Unfortunately I don't have an A20p :-(

> I started with SuSE 6.4 and added standard XFree 4.01/KDE 1 and now I'm
> using SuSE 7.1/XFree 4.02 (SuSE-Distribution)
> and KDE 2. Using KDE1 the problem happended seldom. Using KDE2 it's
> happening more often.
> I'm an experienced linux user and used an HP notebook before.
>
> The Problem:
>     From time to time the mouse pointer seems to "forget" in which
> context it is.
>     The shape of the pointer does not change properly and and the
> expected function does
>     not work either.
>     Example:
>               It's not possible to change focus per click (I am using
> "click to focus").
>                The Text-Cursor does not change when moving to the
> desktop or to a menu
>                 and the menu is not selectable.
>      When changing focus by Alt-Tab that does work in most cases but
> sometimes
>       the X-Server freezes (Mouse moves possible but no actions and the
> Alt-Tab menu is on top.)
>
> Since others are using the combination A20p/XFree 4.0.2 without major
> problems on this
> list and changing the software does not help either I only can think of
> two reasons:
>
>     - a systematic error in my configuration
>     - a BIOS problem
>     - a hardware problem
>
> On another system I would try playing with BIOS setting for the video
> adapter
> but the A20p has not much settings for this.

Maybe there is some important information in the XFree86 log file. Look for
something like /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

What version of KDE do you use? I remember that SuSE used very early versions
of KDE in the past.

Have you tried to kill KDE (not the X server) and restart it? If the problem
goes away after restarting KDE then I would say that it has nothing to do
with the X server.

Tino