[ltp] [slightly OT] File system compatibility : W2k-Linux

billy ball linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:53:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, James Hawtin wrote:

> This ibm linux dvd thing? I assume is for newer models only? It as a
> kernel object... which kernel version is it limited to? and anyone know
> where you can get it? Only pre-installed calerdra systems?

go to http://www.videolan.org and download vlc ... unlike other efforts,
such as oms and xine, this one works...

it comes with source, builds, and handles nearly every encrypted DVD (with
the exception of some anime from Bandai and DVDs using DTS)...

1. # bunzip2 vlc*2
2. # cd vlc*
3. # ./configure
4. # pico -w Makefile.opts
5. # make
6. insert DVD
7. ./vlc -V fb
8. click on DVD button, select /dev/dvd, click OK!
9. enjoy

screw proprietary software... and to heck with encrypted DVDs... you'll
also find a list of 'unencrypted' DVDs at the above site...

i'm watching DVDs while running Linux on my IBM 390X, Insprion 7500,
Apple G4 Titanium and G4 Cube (running SuSE PowerPC Linux)...

best results are obtained with the highest color depth (24bpp or better)
and the built-in framebuffer... e.g.,

# ./vlc -V fb

(btw, if you have trouble building for SDL, just edit Makefile.opts before
the build and remove the 'sdl' plug-in)... vlc works fine as a GTK
client..

i've waited more than a year for InterVideo to bring out a client, and the
userbase ends up getting screwed...