[ltp] 1024th cylinder problem on the T21

Byeong-ryeol Kim linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:54:58 +0900 (KST)

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Tony Baumann wrote:

> I've got windows 2000 installed on the first 10GB of a 20 GB HDD in a T21. I
> want to install redhat 7.1 on 5 of the remaining 10GB. Of course, when I try
> to set up redhat 7.1 and I get to the point where I'm trying to allocate
> space for /boot in Disk Druid, it says that it can't create the partition
> because it's over the 1024 cylinder limit. . .
>
> >From what I understand, Redhat 7.1 is able to boot from a /boot partition
> that is past the 1024th cylinder of the hard drive IF the system's BIOS is
> able to handle it. Can this be done on the T21? I do have the BIOS version
> 1.05 KZET23WW installed, but am not sure how to figure out if it can work.
I don't know w2k or t21 well, since I do not use those. But just
FYI, below is excerpt from 'Release notes of Red Hat 7.1' posted to
redhat-announce-list from authorities concerned of Red Hat, Inc.

o LBA32 Support -- There is now support for the LBA32 option in LILO.
  This makes it possible to boot from partitions partially or
  completely above cylinder 1024 (which had been a historical
  limitation).  Note, however, that we have found that not all
  motherboards support this option, even when the BIOS claims support
  is available.  Therefore, this option is disabled by default.  Note
  also that this option is available ONLY when a partition has been
  created using fdisk, and that partition is then chosen as the /boot
  or / partition.  The fdisk restriction is necessary as it is not
  possible to create a bootable partition above cylinder 1024 using
  Disk Druid.