[ltp] A20M dhcp

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:01:18 +0200

On Wednesday, 25. April 2001 08:44, Brandon Walters wrote:
> Hi,

>     The instructions say to start dhcpcd manually after startup, to go
> to its directory and type the command 'dhcpcd' or 'dhcpcd-eth0.exe'.
> Those files exist in the directory when I do an ls.  Now here comes the
> embarrassing inane part - no matter how many times I type either command
> to start dhcpcd, bash insists that the program doesn't exist (even
> though the 'X' permission is set on dhcpcd and dhcpcd-eth0.exe).
>     I am a newbie to linux, but I have decent working knowledge of other
> Unix OS's like Solaris.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I saw

If you want to run a program in the current directory you have to type
./program (i.e. './dhcpcd' and not just 'dhcpcd') because the current working
directory (.) is usually not in the shell's search path. If it would be, an
evil user could do horrible things like creating a script named 'ls' in his
home directory. That script could contain 'rm -rf /*' and if the
administrator is in the user's home directory and types 'ls' as root and the
current working directory '.' is before '/usr/bin' in the shell's search path
--> *BANG*

Tino