[ltp] Keyboard problem on 760EL TP

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:58:55 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, James Mckenzie wrote:

> One, you probably could remove the keycaps, just be careful

Yes, very careful. The keycaps are held by very delicate plastic
clips. Pry the keycaps up from the bottom with a dull knife blade or
something similar.

> Two, I found that I had to clean (with compressed air) the 'domes' and
> used a special plastic lubricant to make the keys easier to press.

What kind of "plastic lubricant" and where can it be obtained. I tried light
machine oil (probably not a good idea, since it will eventually dry out and
might even chemically react with the plastic).

I also tried "shaving" some of the material from the outside of the inner
cylinder underneath the keycaps with a sharp knife blade. This helped
somewhat.

Mendel