[ltp] Thinkpad 600 Pointer Problems

Chris Halls linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:29:10 +0200

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 02:20:11PM -0500, Christopher X wrote:
> Its not a new Thinkpad, its a 600 2645-51U w/ 266 Pentium II, 288 megs RAM,
> etc.  Not all that bad tho, I like it.  Does this still apply?  I hope then
> that Suse would work.  :-)

I had several versions of SuSE working when I had a TP600, up to version 7.0
I think.  No problems with getting the mouse to work.  Debian worked OK too.
So my guess would be that it is more of a specific problem that you are
having.  You may like to check that the trackpoint is set to enabled in the
thinkpad utilities.  Next, you can check if maybe the kernel is receiving
mouse events but your software is not configured properly.  If you do

	cat /proc/interrupts

you should see a line something like this:

 12:       5143          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse

The second column (5143 in this example), is the number of interrupts
received so far.  If I now wiggle my trackpoint and do cat /proc/interrupts...

 12:       5239          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse

..the number of interrupts has gone up.  Do you see that too?  If you do,
you know the kernel is receiving interupts from the mouse hardware, but
something is going wrong after that, such as the mouse software
configuration, or, in rare cases, a problem with the actual PS/2 driver as
Tino suggested.  If it's still not working, maybe you can tell us what you
are trying to configure the mouse for - maybe for X?  If so, you could maybe
check the entries in XF86Config for the mouse.  And are you running gpm?
gpm and X need to be configured well for them both to work at the same time.

Chris