[ltp] which cellphone with TP770 using IR-Port?

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:08:30 +0200

On Sunday, 12. August 2001 21:22, Thomas Wimmer wrote:
> Hello
>
> One question to the european readers of this list:
>
> which cellphone do you use successfully with your thinkpad (770) to
> connect to the internet?

A friend of mine used a Siemens S25 with his old TP 755, but only under
Windows. I tried his S25 on my TP 765L with a 2.2 kernel using IrTTY as well
as IrPORT drivers and it worked. I think it should also work with other
mainstram cellphones like Siemens S35, Nokia 6210, Nokia 7110,...

> Is the IR-Port fast enough, or is it only a "slow" IR-Port?

The IR port can emulate a serial interface with 115 kbit/s which should be
enough for a cellphone (even with HSCSD or GPRS). The real bottleneck is the
connection between the cellphone and the gateway of the provider. But I don't
have much practice, I only know the theory.

Tino