[ltp] new T23 with wireless ... OK for Linux?

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:48:57 -0400

--------------968B701000EB7E0FDEB9E6B6

Its not a problem under windows. From the little that I have been able to unearth,
the problem should be fixable with an appropriate driver/software. The problem is
that neither IBM nor S3 are willing to look into the problem. S3 is not releasing
the documentation for the chipsets meaning that any development effort by the
public has to be done blindly.

The versions of the T2x that came with the XGA (1024x768) native resolution doesnt
have this problem as far as I know. Its only the SXGA+ (1400x1050) machines that
have this problem ......and IBM never sold any of these with a linux preload
.........which means they didnt have to support them either (under linux).

If you are content on giving your presentations with windows then you shouldnt
have this problem.

"Michael W. Godfrey" wrote:

> [...]
> > that it cannot reliably produce a simultaneous CRT and external
> > display under Linux (makes for extremely frustrating presentations). The T21s
> >  (with SXGA+ resolution) have the Savage IX8 chipsets and the T23s
> > have the ProSavage chipsets. I have no idea whether the T23s will have the sa
> > me problem but I do notice that they are not selling one with
> > pre-installed Linux.....
> >
> > DS
> > "Michael W. Godfrey" wrote:
> >
> > > I was looking at the new T23 with built-in wireless (model 26479LU).
> > >
> > > http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=212991
> > 3&cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&cntry=840&lang=en_US&scrfnbr=73&shoptype=D
> > >
> > > Does anyone forsee any Linux compatibility problems with it?
> > > I do have a 600E that I've put Linux on, so I have some experience ...
> > >
> > > Comments most appreciated!
> > >
> > > -- Mike

> > > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html
> >
> > --
> > D. Sen, Room E167
> > AT&T Labs-Research
> > Shannon Laboratory
> > 180 Park Ave.
> > Florham Park NJ 07932-0971
> > Ph: 973-360-8546
> > http://www.research.att.com/~dsen
> >

> > --------------1B5E34DAC926BFD5FAD3E799
> >
> > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
> > Just be aware that the T21 with the SXGA+ resolution screen has a problem
> > in that it cannot reliably produce a simultaneous CRT and external display
> > under Linux (makes for extremely frustrating presentations). The T21s (with
> > SXGA+ resolution) have the Savage IX8 chipsets and the T23s have the ProSavag
> > chipsets. I&nbsp;have no idea whether the T23s will have the same problem
> > but I do notice that they are not selling one with pre-installed Linux.....
> > (model 26479LU).
> > nbr=2129913&cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&cntry=840&lang=en_US&scrfnbr=73&shoptype=D">
> > http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2129913&
> > amp;cntrfnbr=1&amp;prmenbr=1&amp;cntry=840&amp;lang=en_US&amp;scrfnbr=73&amp;
> > shoptype=D</a>
> > om/~bm/tp_mailing.html</a></blockquote>

> > dsen</a>

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research
Shannon Laboratory
180 Park Ave.
Florham Park NJ 07932-0971
Ph: 973-360-8546
http://www.research.att.com/~dsen

--------------968B701000EB7E0FDEB9E6B6

Its not a problem under windows. From the little that I have been able
to unearth, the problem should be fixable with an appropriate driver/software.
The problem is that neither IBM nor S3 are willing to look into the problem.
S3 is not releasing the documentation for the chipsets meaning that any
development effort by the public has to be done blindly.
doesnt have this problem as far as I&nbsp;know. Its only the SXGA+ (1400x1050)
machines that have this problem ......and IBM never sold any of these with
a linux preload .........which means they didnt have to support them either
(under linux).
shouldnt have this problem.
TP, yes?
is not