SV: [ltp] which cellphone with TP770 using IR-Port?

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:44:50 +0200

On Thursday, 16. August 2001 17:48, ole-thomas.naringsrud@telenor.com wrote:
> What about high speed GSM or GPRS..??

If you want to use this, the IR connection _could_ be a bottleneck if the
modem of the cellphone uses hardware compression (I don't know if cellphones
can do that). If you want to be sure, better use software compression.

Hardware compression is done by the modem, so if compression ratio is high,
there is much more traffic between the modem (cellphone) and the ThinkPad
than between the modem and gateway of the ISP. This traffic can reach the
limit of the IR connection.

Software compression is done by the ppp driver of your linux kernel, so the
traffic between the modem and the ThinkPad is already compressed.

But all I heard from a friend of mine is that modems of cellphones are
usually slow like hell, so I think that even a slow IR port is fast enough.
:-)

Tino