[ltp] Freezes SuSE 7.1/7.2 and TP T 21

Dr. Edmund Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:36:55 +0200

Hi!

I'm new to this list but I checked the archive (which is online up to
May 2001 as far as I can see) and I couldn't find any information
related to my problem:

I have a Thinkpad T21 model that I bought here in Germany about three
months ago. The exact model number is 2647-9AG. It's the one that comes
with Win2k pre-loaded, a 1400x1050 LCD screen, and the Intel/Xircom
combo (sigh). I had it upgraded to 256 MB RAM.

I tried to install SuSE 7.2 on this machine but ran into big troubles.
>From time to time the machine froze completely and the only thing I
could do was switching the power off. I first thought this was the text
scrolling hang of the Savage/IX XFree driver, but enabling the shadow
status feature didn't help. Then I thought the problem might be related
to my usage of an external USB mouse, so I started using only the
internal trackpoint - but the problems were still there. My final idea
was that this could be a problem of the rather new 2.4 kernels, so I
installed SuSE 7.1 with the 2.2.18 kernel and upgraded to Xfree 4.1.0
from SuSE's ftp server - same problem.

So, I'm starting to wonder if it is at all possible to run Linux on this
particular machine. Is anybody out there successfully using Linux with
_exactly_ this model? Is this problem maybe related to the Intel/Xircom
combo? (I know I probably won't be able to use the modem part - I only
need Ethernet at the moment.)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Edi Weitz.

PS: Just for the record - no freezes with Wintendo 2000.

--
Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg