[ltp] Re: A21m: ALSA conflicts with gnome-session

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
20 Aug 2001 10:58:02 +0200

    MJ> Hi all

    MJ> I have the ALSA drivers working fine for my a21m with a Cirrus Logic
    MJ> CS4610 sound card.  They can be loaded manually, but when I try to load
    MJ> them automatically at startup, some interesting things happen.

    MJ> When I add the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, I can play mp3 files at
    MJ> a terminal outside X (via mpg123 filename), but once I start gnome-session
    MJ> or kde the sound will no longer work.

My guess would be that the esd (GNOME sound daemon) is hogging the sound card. Try using xmms with the esd output plugin. Works fine here.

--
Dr. Dirk Husemann, IBM Research Division, Zurich Research Lab, Switzerland
Email: hud@zurich.ibm.com ----------- WWW: http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

"We are Linux. Resistance is an indication that you missed the point."