SV: [ltp] which cellphone with TP770 using IR-Port?

Pekka Pessi linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
20 Aug 2001 11:49:30 +0100

In message <A9CDFB048BBBD21192E80008C70D420D03F06D4E@mob-osl-22-003> <ole-thomas.naringsrud@telenor.com> writes:
>AFAIK, GSM doesn't support connection rates faster then 9600
>anyway. Even though my TP600E supports FIR the phone only
>connected at 9600. Yet, I could read my email while I was
>in Spain last year.

	The GSM high-speed data supports 14400 b/s.  There is also
	possibility to use multiple channels, so bit rate may be up to
	42300 b/s.  However, I don't know if it is supported by anybody
	but Finnish Sonera - you have to check with your operator first.
	Also, some operators may require that you have high-speed data
	enabled on your subscription (because, like, it costs a fortune
	to use).

	Personally I would recommend Nokia 6210, as it is possible to
	connect either via cable or IrDa.

http://www.nokia.com/phones/6210/

	If you use the GSM data lot, a Nokia Card Phone 2.0 (a PC-II
	card) may be a good buy. I have no experience of using it with
	Linux, however.

http://www.nokia.com/phones/cardphone2_0/

	In any case, you have to make sure that your operator, your
	subscription, your phone *and* the connection to the Thinkpad
	supports higher datarates.

						Pekka

Please #include <stddisclaimer>.  I'm not a Nokia spokesman.