[ltp] Access Thinkpad for Linux

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:10:06 +0200

"Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The IBM Personal Systems Reference for Thinkpad A, T, X, and TransNote
> models (August 2001, Version 227) says that the Linux preloaded
> 2647-L7U model came with an "Access Thinkpad II" application. Is this
> true?  Is this application available for download somewhere? Is it
> worth it or can tpctl do the same job?

Hi Edi,

"Access Thinkpad" is more or less just a documentation application that
allows you to browse the online docs installed on your system. In
addition to that, it helps you to connect to IBM web sites to get more
information. Compared to that, tpctl is a great application that allows
you to access the functions of the SMAPI BIOS as with the ThinkPad
Utilities.

"AccessThinkPad" works per default on preinstalled machines - either
Linux or Windoze models. For the latter, you can also later download
this application from the IBM Personal Computing Support pages.
Unfortunately not for Linux! :-(

I guess quite a few Linux ThinkPad users will agree that making this
also available for Linux would be a good deed from IBM ... Otherwise the
nifty "ThinkPad" button will remain rather useless on these machines.

Keith, could you comment on this?

Regards,
Markus

--