[ltp] Freezes SuSE 7.1/7.2 and TP T 21

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:10:35 +0800

My A22m has the ATI Rage mobility -m AGP 8 meg card, so in theory the
"savage" bug doesn't affect it.
But I still get moments when my mouse will be able to move around but not
click on anything (tab'ing, alt-tab'ing and alt-F4'ing don't work either).
On top of that the Icons on the desktop will highlight when the mouse
moves over them, but the buttons on the task bar don't react in the same
way.
The only fix that I've found is crt-alt-backspace, and restart the
Xserver.
I'm not fluent enough with Linux to know where I should be looking for
error logs or other such, so If you have any ideas I would be grateful.
The system is SuSE 7.2 with all the latest updates. (through the
auto-update feature)
It has also done it in the middle of a bzflag game as well, mouse movement
but no click ability...
Marcus

"Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:

> Markus Alt <altmark@de.ibm.com> writes:
> > "Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:
> > > I'm now running SuSE 7.2 with XFree 4.1.0 and it looks like I just
> > > made a silly mistake with the XF86Config file: I was aware of the
> > > Savage bug and the workaround for it but I put the "ShadowStatus"
> > > line in the "ServerFlags" section instead of the "Device" section
> > > where it belongs... :(
> >
> > Are you sure that you need this? I mean, I never experienced this
> > "scrolling hang" and thus never had to add "ShadowStatus" to my
> > XF86Config. Do you have problems if you drop it?
>
> Yep, I just tried it. I commented out the "ShadowStatus" line in
> XF86Config and the system hung completely after about half an hour
> while I was scrolling a webpage in Netscape. I've read that about 4%
> of the Savage/IX users encounter this bug - looks like I'm one of the
> lucky few... :)
>
> I have no problem putting this line into my configuration file but I
> wonder why this (hardware) bug is still there and why these cards are
> still sold by IBM although it seems that the bug has been known by the
> end of 2000 already...

IMHO, the problem is that apparently neither S3 nor IBM is wiling to
supply Tim Roberts, who developped the Savage driver for Linux, with the
complete specs for that chip. If you browse the archives of this list,
you will find several postings regarding the problems with simultaneous
display on LCD and external monitor with Savage based machines. Probably
this could be fixed - as well as the scrolling hang - if the specs were
available.

Markus