[ltp] Re: Can't hibernate (SMAPI BIOS error)

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
23 Aug 2001 10:52:09 +0200

    v> On 22 Aug 2001, Dr. Edmund Weitz wrote:
    >> I'm trying to put my Thinkpad (T21, 2647-9AG) into hibernation mode,
    >> but it doesn't work. Fn-F12 shows no reaction while tpctl --hibernate
    >> (with version 2.5) gives
    >>
    >> tpctl: SMAPI BIOS error 0x91 ("system is invalid") -- exiting
    >>
    >> What do I have to do to enable hibernation? (It is enabled - and works
    >> - in my W2k installation but I suppose this is a file on the NTFS
    >> partition. I remember that my old Sony Vaio notebook had a special
    >> hibernation partition.)

    v> w2k may well be using acpi, or its own equivalent of swsusp to hibernate,
    v> rather than using BIOS hibernation.

    v> There's a floppy image you can boot from to format a hibernation partition
    v> [the partition must already exist before you boot from the floppy, the
    v> floppy just writes magic data patterns to the partition, afaik]

    v> You can get the floppy image from ibm [as a dos executable only,
    v> unfortunately, but if you have w2k you should be able to run it there] -
    v> nose around in the downloads area for thinkpads.

There's also a stand-alone version called "hibernation utility disk II
for stand-alone boot" available at www.pc.ibm.com.

--
Dr. Dirk Husemann, IBM Research Division, Zurich Research Lab, Switzerland
Email: hud@zurich.ibm.com ----------- WWW: http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

"We are Linux. Resistance is an indication that you missed the point."