[ltp] Freezes SuSE 7.1/7.2 and TP T 21

Paul Hahn linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:38:58 -0700

Hi everyone. I used to run Suse 7.1 on my home machine and we run it at
work in development and production. I am going to try and offer some
opinions on this, as I have experienced all these problems before.

First, you can kill processes until the cows come home- eventually the
system will hang. Not at first, but eventually. This a kernel issue--
specifically one that relates to multi-threading and heavy loads. When
we max one of our servers at work beyond a certain point-- it starts
exhibiting slow responses. Eventually even ls and ps will not respond or
will produce core dumps. This happens in X as freezes or locking. When
the kernel goes afoul, anything can happen- some X files in your window
manager can go crazy and you can loose icons. I do not know what kind of
funk the kernel built with Suse 7.1 has- but to fix it you must rebuild
the kernel. We have custom built a 2.5 version of the kernel with a
recommended release of gcc and have had no problems on our servers or
our desktop machines since this. It is important to realize that you
must use a certain version of gcc when building enterprise/OS level
tools like kernels and X. Not just any gcc will do.  I think that the
particular version of the kernel in 7.1- plus the version of gcc it was
compiled under have caused this problem. If you compile anything
multi-threaded without an approved version of gcc-- like X-- this is
liable to happen even if your kernel is good. I would not be suprised if
other 2.4x kernels in other distros have trouble as well-- like the user
reporting freezing under Mandrake. RedHat, however-- does seem to be
stable with multi-threading. I contribute this to the -ac build mods put
into it-- which address alot of multi-threading issues. Bottom line is
if you want it stable-- build it yourself or upgrade to a newer or
different distro.

I am basing what I am saying on our 5 production systems at work
running: our own custom built multi-threaded transaction manager,
Oracle 8, apache with the usual, and the rest of the Suse 7.1 stuff. We
never had these problems on the 2.2x kernels we were running on Red Hat.
However we needed 2.4 capabilities with our transaction manager, so we
switched to 7.1 Suse and the 2.4 kernel- and since then we had problems.
Since building our own kernel with our own gcc, we have had no problems.
We also run about 40 client sites on Samba servers- some redhat- some
Suse 7.1. We have had the same problem with the sites using Suse 7.1. It
is not X specifically that is crashing your system-- it is its
implementation of threads and the kernels. Since X is the heaviest user
of threading on your laptop-- is a desktop type system and not a server:
it is what "causes" the machine to crash-- or rather what symptom
produces the crash. Other components for Linux do not often cause this
as they are programs that use "forking" only and do not attempt to
manage their threads. So Apache and many other apps can run very, very,
stable-- thus making one assume it is only X with the problem.

Hope this helps,
Paul Hahn