[ltp] Clicking hard disk sound

Mark Beierl linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:05:01 -0400

I do get the occasional clicking sound as flushd syncs the disks.  It
could just be the difference between the way FAT and e2fs filesystems are
layed out on the disk that makes it sound dissimilar between the two OSs.

But just to be sure, check /var/log/messages and make sure there are no
lines about drive seek errors or any such.  Examples:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, CHS=49000/0/252,
sector=8446688
hda: dma_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, CHS=49000/0/253,
sector=8446704
ide0: reset: success

If there are, backup what you can now and get a replacement HD, cos it's
on its way down.

Regards,
Mark Beierl