[ltp] Can't hibernate (SMAPI BIOS error)

Rob Lowrie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:34:22 -0600 (MDT)

Hi --

I share Edi's pain with hibernate, but on a T20 2647-92U. The differences
are:

1) Originally, I had no Microsoft related partitions.  I did the following
   a) Used Partition Magic to create a FAT partition and format it.
   b) fdisk /mbr (to wipe out lilo; I earlier made lilo install on hda1
      instead of hda)
   c) Made the FAT parition active.
   d) Created the hibernation file using the IBM utility disk.
   e) Made my linux partition active (so I could boot linux).  In doing
      so, I've tried both keeping the hibernation partition hidden and
      unhidden.

2) For me, Fn-F4 or 'tpctl --Z' beeps, but appears to only put it in
something like a _standby_ mode.  However, 'apm -s' puts it in full
suspend mode (the little quarter phase moon light comes on).

On 24 Aug 2001, Dr. Edmund Weitz wrote:

> Markus Alt <altmark@de.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > 2. If you temporarily mount it (e.g. via "mount -t vfat /dev/hda<n>
> > /mnt"),
> > do you see a file named "save2dsk.bin" in there which is slightly bigger
> > than your RAM + Video RAM?
>
> Yes. The device is /dev/hda3 on my machine and I see
>
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      8192 Aug 23 01:32 Recycled
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 278315008 Aug 23 01:26 save2dsk.bin

Interesting.  My file is also in /dev/hda3.  I may be grasping at straws,
but does the bios _only_ look under hda1 for the hibernation file? Or is
there some other restriction?

Thanks,

-Rob

--