[ltp] 600x: How to max Processor speed?

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:03:46 +0200 ((MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerzeit)

Thanks for the reply!

> > to continue the subject on the 600x here is my problem.
> >
> > When I boot linux without a battery and CDRom plugged in (that is my
> > default option) I get invariably 498 MHz processor speed. Very often,
> > however, I would prefer to enjoy the full 650 MHz speed that my 5FG model
> > is capable of but alas without success.
>
> I've seen the same behaviour also with a 600X and with a T21, too. It
> seems like a "feature" of the Intel SpeedStep mechanism. If there's no
> battery in the machine or if the battery is at low charge when booting
> the system, the clock speed is "reduced" (according to the output of
> "cat /proc/cpuinfo").
>
> Like you, I haven't found any way to make the machine run at full speed
> everytime,

guess you mean linux, because in windoze is possible.

> although I've selected "Maximum Performance" in the
> corresponding BIOS menu for both AC and battery mode. Apparently, the
> only possibility is to boot with a charged battery (and remove if later,
> if you want to).
>
> The CD-ROM shouldn't matter in this case.
>
> > The distribution I have is suse 7.1 with kernel 2.4.0 and kde 2.1.1. In
> > almost every other respect I am pleased with this kernel and I would
> > appreciate any suggestion that does not require updating the kernel, if
> > possible.
>
> As I've had this with different version of the SuSE distro and different
> kernel versions (2.2 and 2.4), I don't think that it's related to these.
>
> Regards,
> Markus

Well then I have to live with this feature. I asked ,because to me it
seems illogical. If someone boots with a small battery charge (without the
AC power adapter) it is a good feature to have. On the other hand if one
boots without a battery with the AC adapter it means power is not a
concern whereas performance is. Thus the behaviour of the processor speed
of the laptop in linux is the exact opposite of what one would expect.
Hopefully, ibm and intel would correct this feature in their new models.

Regards,
Boyan.