[ltp] A21m: ALSA conflicts with gnome-session

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 13:54:00 +0200

On Sunday, 19. August 2001 08:27, Michael James wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have the ALSA drivers working fine for my a21m with a Cirrus Logic
> CS4610 sound card.  They can be loaded manually, but when I try to load
> them automatically at startup, some interesting things happen.
>
> When I add the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, I can play mp3 files at
> a terminal outside X (via mpg123 filename), but once I start gnome-session
> or kde the sound will no longer work.

What does "will no longer work" mean?

Could it be that some sound IO daemon (e.g. "esd" if you use gnome or "artsd"
if you use KDE) is occupying the sound device? If this is the case, you can
force KDE and gnome not to start these daemons. You can also use them for
audio IO. If you want to use mpg123, run "esddsp mpg123 <mp3-file>" or
"artsdsp mpg123 <mp3-file>" instead of "mpg123 <mp3-file>".

Tino