[ltp] Modem compression & kppp

Tue, 28 Aug 2001 03:07:29 -0400

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 01:11 am, James Mckenzie wrote:
> Dean:
>
> What type of modem?  With my USR PC-Card modem I had to set it up for
> hardware compression, save it into the NVRAM and then use ATZ only.  Any
> attempt to use compression 'on-the-fly' did not work under either Linux
> or Windoze.

It's a Simple Technology 56K (I think it's a Rockwell chipset).

In Windows, I used to turn off compression via %C0 in the init string and I
would enable the "Software Compression" checkbox in the PPP setup.
Sometimes I would get 70k transfer speeds on large text-only web pages.

With kppp, I've tried the bsd-comp command line option in the "optional
arguments to pppd" setup.  No improvement.  I think there is more to it to
get it configured.

Conflicting information on the web regarding what is
required in modules.conf.  Here's what Ive found.  No explanation
as to what each of the enties does.

#Alias ppp compression routines alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate

# ppp-2.4.0-2 support
#
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

#for 2.4 kernels...
char-major-108           ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp                 ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3              ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14             ppp_synctty