[ltp] 600x and tpctl?

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:41:40 +0200

On Wednesday, 29. August 2001 06:42, Boyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> still having problems letting the tpctl 2 work on the thinkpad. I use suse
> 7.1 with reiserfs and kernel 2.4.0 and tried several times to install the
> utilities. The last time I tried also the precompiled tpctl.rpm that comes
> with the latest suse 7.2 and again I have the following output when I try
> as root the utilities:
>
> newbie# tpctl --ip
>
> tpctl: System error message is: No such device
>
> tpctl: Can't open device file /dev/thinkpad with flags O_RDONLY.
> Exiting.
>
> newbie# ntpctl
> Error while opening the device...

I think that tpctl clearly states what's wrong.

Does the character device file /dev/thinkpad exists on your system? Does it
have the right permissions (664 or -rw-rx-r--) as well as major 10 and minor
170 if you type "ls -l /dev/thinkpad"?

If not, you should have a look at the README file:

"To create the /dev/thinkpad device node, run the command
         mknod --mode=664 /dev/thinkpad c 10 170
 as root."

> On the other, hand somewhere along the numerous installations and
> deinstallations of the package I suddenly was able to suspend and
> hibernate with Fn-4 and Fn-12 respectively, which is very nice. But am not
> sure whether it was due to my enabling the apm in /etc/.rcconfig or to the
> utilities.

I'm sure the keys work now because you enabled apm.

Tino