[ltp] 600x and tpctl?

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:30:42 +0200

Boyan wrote:

> Now I am even more confused. It turns out that there is some automatically
> generated entry in the /etc/modules.conf file which is:
>
> options thinkpad enable_smapi=1 enable_superio=1 enable_rtcmosram=1
> keep
> path[thinkpad]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/thinkpad
> alias char-major-10-170 thinkpad
>
> So overal when compared to the recommendation below only one line is
> different actually missing:
> > thinkpad_enable_rtcmosram=1 thinkpad_enable_thinkpadpm=1
>
> Is this crucial? And the order of the lines in my modules.conf entry are
> somewhat different. Is this modules.conf entry wrong?

First of all: This is no extra line; it should go also into the "options
thinkpad ..." line. Sorry if this was misleading from my first posting
where the line got truncated.

Regarding the options: As you may have noticed, their names have changed
("thinkpad_" prefix has been added) and also the
"thinkpad_enable_thinkpadpm" option has been introduced in the latest
version of tpctl (2.5).

Bottom line: As you already run a 2.4 kernel, get the latest tpctl
version, compile it and follow the instructions in the README for
creating the lines in /etc/modules.conf. Then all should be fine. ;-)

> Also I am not sure if it is right for the /dev/thinkpad to be a character
> special file as from the command ls -l /dev/thinkpad:
>
> crw-rw-r--    1 root     root      10, 170 Jun 27 21:05 /dev/thinkpad

Absolutely. As Tino mentioned in his mail on Wednesday, this get created
by the command "mknod --mode=664 /dev/thinkpad c 10 170". Note the 'c'
which stands for a character special file.

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Alt