[ltp] Hi, First Post :-)

Mike Gratton linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:45:38 +0930

Patrick Draper wrote:

> I didn't take your comment as a flame, but can you tell us why you won't
> touch Debian? If it's a matter of taste, then I say live and let live.
> If it's a technical reason, then I can offer my experience: Thinkpad
> A21m, running Debian. Everything works flawlessly.

Seconded, twice.

I've had nothing but joy running Debian on first a 600X then a T21. I
wouldn't reccomend it to a beginner, but if you know vaguely what you
are doing, and the other distro's annoy you, or you want a distro that
excells from a technical perspective, use Debian.

Count that as my $0.10 from down under. A tad more than $0.02. 8)

Still, to keep this slightly on-topic, when installing Debian, get a set
  of bootable Debian CDROM(s). Preferably ones made from the official
ISOs. Boot and install from these and you'll be fine.

What I normally do is an absolutely bare minimum install from the stable
CDROM's - no emacs, X, or anything other then the bare minimum. I then
configure apt to update from testing or unstable from my local mirror,
then do an `apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade`. Once that's done, I
start apt'ing the packages I want to do real work.

I think you can get bootable ISO's of testing and/or unstable, but
they're generally out of date and require updating, so I still usually
start from stable anyway. If you don't have a lot of bandwidth available
but want to be a bit more current that stable offers, then a testing
CDROM may be the better way to go.

Don't use unstable unless you really need bleeding edge and are prepared
to put up with occasional brokenness.

I think that's the sum of my wisdom, for the moment anyway. So go!
Install Debian and be happy. 8)

Mike.

--
? Mike Gratton - mike@vee.net