[ltp] 600x and tpctl?

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:41:47 +0200 (CEST)

thanks for the suggestion.

> Bottom line: As you already run a 2.4 kernel, get the latest tpctl
> version, compile it and follow the instructions in the README for
> creating the lines in /etc/modules.conf. Then all should be fine. ;-)

that is what I am intent to do now. Before installing I would like to ask
about the installation directories to avoid spoiling something. Sorry if
it sounds a bit newbielike but so it is:

I downloaded the tpctl_2.5.tr.gz in my user home directory
/home/me/Thinkpad_Utilities.

Unpacking and decompressing it left me with a directory structure in
/home/me/Thinkpad_Utilities/tpctl_2.5. Was it the right place?

Then from the Readme file there I see this:

"Make sure that your kernel source tree is at /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/build"

I am not exactly sure how to find out exactly where my kernel source tree
is, but I do see in /lib/modules/2.4.0-4GB/ a build and even a Thinkpad
subdirectory. In the last /lib/modules/2.4.0-4GB/Thinkpad I see 4 files
rtcmosram.o, smapi.o, superio.o,thinkpad.o even though I already
deinstalled the suse tpctl.rpm package. Is this a problem?

Can I safely proceed with the installation of the tpctl as in the Readme
file: cd tpctl-<ver>
	make all
In my case it would mean:# cd /home/me/Thinkpad_Utilities/tpctl_2.5/tpctl

			make all
Would that be the right thing to do?

Regards,
Boyan.