[ltp] XFree86-4.1.0 + KDE 2.2 on T22 ... very nice!

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:03:43 -0400

Hmmm, thats a bummer. Get an A20! ;o). Have you tried booting from a 2.2 or
other kernel version image? I did have to boot from a floppy to do my A20
install due to the aformentioned trackpoint bug in the 2.4.3 kernel that
Mandrake distributes. They do some tweaks on their kernel apparently too
since running the update patches from kernel.org invariably dies a horrible
death when you apply them to Mandrake's version of the source. I can't see
any difference though between their 2.4.3 kernel and a stock 2.4.9 kernel
except for fixing the trackpoint bug (plus the usual extra goodies you get
with the newest stable kernel).

You COULD try creating your own floppy boot image. I haven't tried and not
entirely 100% sure how to do it, but if you have another working system you
should be able to. I think basically you're just rawwriting a bzImage to the
floppy, but as I dimly recall from years ago there is a bit more to it than
that, but there's a how-to that should help you out.