[ltp] Re: suspend/resume & sound on A22p

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:48:16 -0400

Well, apmd really just responds to APM bios notifications. If there's nothing
in particular you NEED to do during suspend/resume then naturally you can get
away without needing to run it.

I'm running kernel 2.4.9 on an A20p with Mandrake 8 and suspend also works
fine for me, and it resumes with no problem either, but I did have to do a
few kernel compiles with different APM options. It seems on the A20 at least
that you have to select option to use a real mode bios call to shut the
machine down, otherwise it would sporadically hang during the transition to
run level 6 (shut down). There are some options in there dealing with resume
as well, take a look at them and give various ones a try.

I also found that with KDE you can set it to go to "Susped" mode fine, but if
you set it to put your machine in "Standby" then X becomes pretty much
completely trashed when it resumes. Since the terminology between the kernel,
the APM bios, and KDE don't seem to be totally consistent about what the
different states are called I'm not 100% certain if that has anything to do
with your problem, but it is known that XFree86 doesn't necessarily properly
recover from a full sleep. I imagine its an issue with driver support for
properly bringing the hardware back online or an interrupt handling issue or
something like that.