[ltp] Mandrake on a T22 Install Problem

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:08:58 -0400

Unfortunately the 2.4.3 kernel that ccmes with the Mandrake 8.0 distro has a
bug in it that causes it to not support the trackpoing (and maybe all ps/2
mice, I'm not really sure...). Anyway, to do a graphical install you can use
one of the alternate boot images that are on the disk, there are several
install images using 2.2 series kernel to run the install. Just rawwrite one
of them to a floppy or use "dd -if <imagefile> -of /dev/fd0" from Linux to
create a boot floppy, then everything is fine.

The pain is that if you want to use a 2.4.x series kernel on your system you
will now have to compile one... On the A20p I have the 2.4.9 stock kernel
seems to work fine. I had to compile it a couple times to get the right APM
bios work arounds in there, but now it works fine and the trackpoint is back
in action.