[ltp] Suspending on an A21m

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:31:59 -0400

Hmmm, I've heard that XFree 4.1.0 doesn't like to resume. Not sure how true
that is, but I can tell you that with kernel 2.4.9 and XFree 4.0.3 there is
no problem with suspending or resuming while in X. However, if you set up
KDE's laptop power configuration panel to put your machine in 'standby'
(whatever that is...) then X becomes trashed on resume. I've never bothered
to even try to get hibernation working. Personally don't see THAT much use
for it. My machine will run for at least a day in suspend mode, and all I
really do is haul it back and forth to work. I'm pretty sure flipping the lid
down is exactly equivalent to fn F4. The only flakiness I see is that if the
system is in suspend long enough then you have to hit Fn F4 again to get it
to wake up, but if the suspend state lasts less than around 20 mins then just
jiggling the trackpoint works. Strange but not a real problem.