[ltp] Thinkpad 600x and printing?

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:11:42 +0200

On Friday, 31. August 2001 18:26, Boyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first attempt to get the printer working failed (in win98 works). Printer
> is HP Laser-jet 6MP distro is suse 7.1 kernel 2.4.0. I basically repeat
> the procedure with the desktop (there I have the same configuration and
> printer is working).  With the configuration tool yast2 I choose integrate
> hardware, printer type is parallel printer,and it finds the exact driver
> for this printer model. However the print fails. Yast2 complains that:
>
> "I have not fount any parallel devices (/dev/lp?)! It seems that your
> parallel port is not properly configured."
>
> I thought it was for it is enabled in bios in win98 and works there. For
> the moment I cannot also use the thinkpad utilities (still not managed to
> install them properly).
> Any idea how to get around this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Boyan.

1. Is your kernel capable of parallel printers? You can type dmesg|grep "^lp"
to look for any parallel ports detected by the kernel. If it isnt, try
"modprobe lp". If this doesn't work, you need a kernel with parallel
port/printer support.

2. Maybe the hardware resources of your parallel port aren't detected
correctly.  I have this line in my modules.conf to tell the kernel about the
resources:

options parport_pc io=0x278 irq=5 dma=3

3. Does the character device special files /dev/lp(0|1|2|...) exist on your
system?

Tino