[ltp] Debian/unstable question (Was: New on List)

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:13:15 -0500

Dr. Edmund Weitz wrote:

>Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net> writes:
>
>>I run Debian/unstable on my T21, but I used to own a 600X and that
>>ran /stable, /testing and /unstable very well.
>>

>I know this is not the right forum, but I'd be glad if someone could
>provide me with a pointer or a hint (preferably by private email to
>unburden the list):
>
>I want to install Debian on a test server and for several reasons I
>want to use the unstable branch. AFAIK there are only installation
>floppies for stable and testing, so I suppose I have to do a minimal
>stable/testing install, then edit my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to
>unstable and then do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. Will that be the right
>way? Are there any tutorials out there that explain how to install
>unstable instead of stable/testing? (I've searched in vain so far.)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Edi.

Your plan is good - that is how i do it - just install stable, then
apt-get install dist-upgrade to woody after editing your
sources list.

I saw some floppies around that install testing (search for "zoltan"
 and debian with google)
but it's just as easy to install then upgrade.

brad