[ltp] Thinkpad 760el Redhat 7.2 and X

George Patterson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 01:23:55 -0800

Hey,

	I had X working great after I installed 7.0.. I upgraded to 7.2 and it
still worked great.  For various reasons I decided to reinstall.. but
instead I reinstalled doing a plain install of 7.2... my X config didn't
configure its self like it did in 7... I have tried numerous different
options and cannot get it to work.. im thinking I might have to reinstall
7.0 and just upgrade again to avoid the hassel.. but I really would like to
know how to fix this.  When I use Xconfigurator I either get "there is a
problem with your setup" and asks me to go back and fix it.. or it attempts
to load the server and then it flickers some whackey looking garbeled lines
with a few different colors and then returns to Xconfigourator but
everything is then garbled on the screen.. even after i exit
Xconfigurator... the terminal is all whacked so i have to reboot.  After I
do xf86config and do startx it does the same thing.

	Monitor:  IBM Thinkpad 9514-B TFT Panel
 	Graphics chipset: Trident CYBER9320
 	Graphics type: 1024x768
 	Graphics data width: 32-bit
 	Video RAM std/max: 1MB / 1MB
 	Video RAM type: EDO DRAM
 	Max resolution (with max video RAM): 1024x768 256 colors
 	Max colors (with max video RAM): 16777216
 	Graphics bus interface: PCI

	I have 80 megs of ram installed in the machine.. Anyway, if anyone has a
XF86Config for RH 7.2 I'd love to take a look at it.. I have tried
everything I can find and searched all over google, altavista and redhats
site for help... and tried to tweak it by hand but it just isn't working.
Anyway, if anyone might have some input please send it my way.. if not I'll
just go through the 6 hour process of installing and then upgrading (i have
a really slow old externel 25pin bantam backpack cdrom).. Thanks!

	George